30 Years Ago: Part Two

19/04/1980: Boston United 1 - 2 Mossley (2-3 agg)

A week after the one-all draw at Seel Park, Mossley and Boston met at the latters York Street Ground ground for the second leg of the FA Trophy semi-final.


Unlike the first leg I wasn't at this game. Instead I was at home listening to score updates on BBC Radio Manchester; updates which finished at half-time with Boston leading by one goal and leaving those not having travelled to Lincolnshire on tenterhooks.

I was having my tea (dinner if you're posh) when they finally gave out the final score and of all the things I remember from my childhood, this moment is one of the clearest: "Boston United 1 (pause from the announcer) Mossley 2." I've no idea what was said after that because my dad was cheering and I was stunned. In a happy way of course because even at that very early age I knew what the significance was of any team, especially one of Mossley's size, going to Wembley and I was going to get the opportunity to see them do it.

The first two images below contain the report on the game which was printed in the Mossley & Saddleworth Reporter. So if you want a breakdown of what happened on the day (including some peculiar half-time antics) just click on the pictures and you'll be taken to larger scans of the article. The third image is a cutting taken from one of the Sunday tabloids published the following day:


If you were at York Street on this particular day and want to share your memories of what happened, just click on the comments section below.

Coming soon - hopefully - the build-up to the Trophy Final.

1 Comments:

Anonymous said...
9:24 pm

My most remembered part of that day was the Boston fans bricking the coaches as we drove away, while the coppers just stood and watched.