Mossley 5 - 3 Ossett Albion

A weather beaten Seel Park pitch played host to an extraordinary afternoon of football as two rivals for a play-off spot shared eight goals between them in a topsy-turvy game that Mossley ultimately managed to emerge victorious from.

Containing a raft of changes form the side that had beaten New Mills in the Manchester Premier Cup semi-final less than 48 hours earlier, many of them necessitated by injuries picked up through the Derbyshire sides, frankly awful, approach to the game, Mossley started the game with a relatively unfamiliar looking line up.

Not that it stopped them taking the lead in the ninth minute; Reece Kelly notching his first goal for the club with a deft lob over Albion keeper Ashforth from the edge of the box. It was an advantage that didn't last long though.

In fact, by the half hour mark of the game Mossley were behind. A defensive mix-up allowed Dave Syers to steal through a crowd of players and poke the ball past Robertson to draw Albion level but his second of the game, and the goal that put his side in front, was the result of the best move of the match up to that point. Picking up Gareth Hamlet's clever back flick on the edge of the box Syers unleashed an unstoppable volley that flew beyond the dive of Robertson and into the roof of the net.

With half-time looming on the horizon though, Lee Blackshaw sprung Albion's offside trap (I say sprung, he was actually about three to four yards offside) to meet Chris Hirst's through ball and slotted his shot past a motionless Ashforth to ensure that the both sides would be starting the second period on level terms.

And that second period was only four minutes old when Mossley edged themselves in front once more. Again it was another defence splitting pass from Hirst that did the damage and though keeper Ashforth got to the ball first, his attempted clearance was charged down by substitute Nathan Neequaye and the ball rebounded off the Mossley debutant and into the net – his first touch of the ball in a Lilywhites shirt.

Once again though the lead didn't last long, full back Joe Thornton adding Ossett's third from the penalty spot, but their joy at restoring parity to the score line lasted barely a minute.

And it's fair to say that the goal that put Mossley back in front for the third time in the match had a large stroke of fortuity about it. Simon Wood's deep cross from the right wing got caught by the strong wind blowing across the ground and sailed over the head of Albion's frantically backtracking (and diminutive) goalkeeper before dropping into the net.

Woody takes the congratulations of his team mates after scoring the fourth goal.

The old adage goes save the best till last and that's exactly what Mossley did – their fifth and final goal of the afternoon coming as a result of their best move of the game. A one-two between Neequaye and Mattie Kay on the halfway line ended with the former picking up the latter's inch perfect looped pass and advancing on goal, before unselfishly squaring the ball to Danny Toronczak who calmly notched his first goal on his return to the club.

Toronczak nets Mossley's fifth and the eighth goal of the afteroon.

The fifth goal also had the effect of finally killing off Ossett as an attacking force and over the remaining twenty minutes the match the Lilywhites had enough chances, which included a penalty miss in injury time, to make the difference on the score sheet even greater.

It's a win that however that extends Mossley unbeaten run to six matches and, more importantly, keeps them in touch with the pack of teams chasing an end of season position in the top five.

It seems silly to say this after a match containing eight goals but it wasn't one of the best games of football there's ever been. Outside of the goals there was very little to write about (thankfully so considering how much space describing the scoring sequence has taken up) but if the trade-off for that is three points and eight goals, I'm not going to complain too much. And I dare say anyone else will either.

And if, as we near the end of this post, you're wondering why what's above doesn't seem that much different to the 'official' match report it's because it isn't.

Because I'm such a slow writer and it takes me a frighteningly lengthy amount of time to do these reports, I'm having to make a compromise in order to get them done as the games come thick and fast.

One or two things may be worded differently, with the odd extra paragraph and lame joke inserted here and there, but from now until the end of the season the chances are that the reports on here may only contain some blink and you'll miss them differences.

It's something I'm going to desperately try and avoid but I thought I'd better give you fair warning in case the best laid plans of a blogger/match reporter don't quite work out.